Burlington Baptist Church started as a mission on the third Sunday of August in 1956 with five members. The first meeting took place in the old vacated night club building, called “The Swan”, on County Road 1 behind what is now Sam’s Club. A short time later services were moved into a store building on the Southwest corner of County Road 1 and Burlington Macedonia Road. The next move was to the existing location, into a house (Ashworth property), which was later purchased as a parsonage.
After purchasing the church lot, a ground-breaking ceremony was held on October 4, 1959. On October 14, 1959 the church was constituted with thirty members. With membership increasing, the need for a church building was becoming evident. The new building (presently the old sanctuary) was built and dedicated on August 21, 1960.
Under the leadership of Brother Creasy, the church began construction on a new education building attached to the north side of the original auditorium. Construction was completed in 1973.
In 1974, the church purchased a large adjacent lot owned by the Ashland Oil Company to insure room for future growth and expansion.
Burlington Baptist Church was sponsored as a mission by the First Baptist Church of South Point, Ohio and later went into The Southern Baptist Convention as a mission of the First Baptist Church of Ashland, KY.
In 1982, under the leadership of Pastor Bill Wellman, construction was begun on a new sanctuary. A group called “Carpenters For Christ” from Alabama was instrumental in getting the new sanctuary under roof and ready for brick and inside work.
Down through the years the following men have served as pastors at Burlington Baptist Church:
L. W. Benedict, 1959 – 1960
Nolan Ford, 1960 – 1962
Keith Creasy, 1962 – 1967
James Clark, 1967
Ben Newell1, 968 – 1970
A. N. Lester, 1972 – 1976
Phillip Jones, 1977 – 1979
Bill Wellman, 1980 – 1984
David Frasure, 1984 – 1993
Doug Virgin, 1993 – 2002
Jeff Gibson, 2003 – 2004
Paul Dillow, 2005 – 2009
Tom Keelin, 2010 – 2011
Zach Johnson, 2014 – Present